In 2020 we supported the community-led initiative to create a music strategy for the Central Okanagan area. Developed over two years, this strategy set out to advance the industry’s sustainability and focuses on how to support spaces, audiences, artists and partnerships.
Creative Okanagan is taking a leadership role in the implementation. The following committees are supporting this process:
- The Music Action Committee (MAC) is an action oriented group committed to implementing the music strategy;
- The Music Advisory Group (MAG) is intended to support the MAC by providing guidance, expertise and outreach.
The development of the strategy took place in phases. The composing phase was completed in January 2021 after data from 1200+ people participated in a survey, interviews and focus groups, was complied into the Industry Profile and Public Engagement Summary.
To create the final strategy we engaged the community through the UPBEAT music summit between April 8 – May 6, 2021, the highlights include:
- 36 facilitators, panelists participated in conversations about key findings from the initial public engagement
- 116 participants engaged over the course of the summit
- Six discussion sessions
- Two virtual networking sessions with over 70 participants
- Extensive data gathered to support the development of the strategy
We encourage you to download and review the full strategy!